There are many fruits that are safe to feed our canine companions. These include:
- Apples (without the core/seeds)
- Apricots (without the pits)
- Mango (without the pits)
- Oranges (without the peels and seeds)
- Peaches (without the pits)
- Pears (without the seeds)
- Pineapple (without the skin and core, they are choking hazards)
- Raspberries (in small amounts, no concentrates!)
Which fruits should I NOT feed my dog?
Lemons, limes, grapefruit, and persimmon can cause upset stomachs.
As with any treat, feed fruits in moderation! Feeding some foods in excess can cause an upset tummy (or diarrhea!), and some fruits are high in sugars and should be avoided in diabetic pets.
For an extra cool treat for your dog, cut some safe fruits into bite-sized pieces and freeze them to make refreshing “Pupsicles” for your dog!
If you have any questions, please give us a call at 204.253.2668.
Written by: Dr. Dawn Williams, DVM